Re: reftex-citation is not able to deal with several databases

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: reftex-citation is not able to deal with several databases
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 16:47:34 +0200

Uwe Brauer via Discussion list for AUCTeX developers <auctex-devel@gnu.org>
writes:

> Thanks for your answer. I found a solution that I posted, but it did not
> land in the same thread sorry.

Ah, Ok, I must have missed that, sorry.

> So the solution I found in
> https://bug-auctex.gnu.narkive.com/s2Oz8HpC/24-3-1-reftex-fails-to-find-multiple-bib-files-in-bibliography-with-commas
>
> I had to set (setq reftex-use-external-file-finders t)
>
> and everything worked as expected.

So you have your .bib files somewhere not next to your .tex file?  This
was the case for me.

> Maybe one should set this variable to t per default.

I don't think this is a good idea:

,----[ C-h v reftex-use-external-file-finders RET ]
| reftex-use-external-file-finders is a variable defined in ‘reftex-vars.el’.
|
| Its value is nil
|
| Non-nil means, use external programs to find files.
| Normally, RefTeX searches the paths given in the environment variables
| TEXINPUTS and BIBINPUTS to find TeX files and BibTeX database files.
| With this option turned on, it calls an external program specified in the
| option ‘reftex-external-file-finders’ instead.  As a side effect,
| the variables ‘reftex-texpath-environment-variables’ and
| ‘reftex-bibpath-environment-variables’ will be ignored.

`----

Changing the default of `reftex-use-external-file-finders' will break
for people who have set `reftex-texpath-environment-variables' and/or
`reftex-bibpath-environment-variables'.

Best, Arash