Re: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 10:35:30 -0400

> I was thinking about this too and my vote is to go with option 2 (i.e.,
> not your favorite ;-).  I think it would make sense to have a sort of
> "staging area" where we can install code which might break or have other
> problems.  Syncing it directly to ELPA-DEVEL and letting people install
> it might end in too much trouble for the brave users.

FWIW, while we don't have good statistics to confirm it, I believe that
very few users routinely install packages from GNU-devel: contrary to
Melpa where the system is setup to encourage the use of Melpa over
Melpa-stable, the GNU ELPA archive is setup so as to encourage the use
of GNU ELPA over GNU-devel ELPA.

So, those few users installing from GNU-devel ELPA are probably ready
and willing (if not eager) to try buggy software (that's what GNU-devel is for).
Especially since fixes are also made available more promptly.

        Stefan