Re: compilation using git needs 10 minutes and fails

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: compilation using git needs 10 minutes and fails
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 14:51:37 +0200

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> This function is not defined.
>
> emacs-version is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.
>
> Its value is "29.0.50"
>
> Version numbers of this version of Emacs.
>
> But
>
> ,----
> | emacs-repository-version is a variable defined in ‘version.el’.
> |
> | Its value is "7bf17ceee8c2d347917541e143ce25609e90ebbb"
> `----
>

> So in short, that might explain why I can't compile (or why it takes so
> long)?

This is one reason why you can't compile the current main branch.  This
doesn't explain the error:

  fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

I suspect this has something to do with your Git-Mercurial
setup/workflow.  But let sort things out one after the other, Ok?

> If I understand you correctly: I should have a version, for the
> moment just for compiling the main auctex branch purpose, but not my
> daily use?

My understanding is that you're sticking to that Emacs 29.0.50 version
because of your BBDB setup.  If so, you can stick with that and wait
until we have a solution for older Emacs as well.  AUCTeX claims to
support Emacs≥27, so we can't only stay with `loaddefs-generate-batch'.

So in short, be a little patient :-)

> Since as I said if I compile and install say the current master version,
> I cannot use it in my daily workflow and could not test real world
> documents, at least not for the next two months.

Side note: I recommend you try to resolve this situation somehow.  Emacs
current release is 29.3.  Sitting on an old dev-version is not really
satisfactory, IMHO.

Best, Arash