Re: [AUCTeX] preview background

From: Patrick Drechsler
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] preview background
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 00:09:16 +0000

David Kastrup wrote on 13 Jan 2006 23:12:06 MET:

> Patrick Drechsler <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> David Kastrup wrote on 12 Jan 2006 10:09:47 MET:

[...]

>>> And honestly: what do you expect short of magic?
>>
>> preview-latex is pretty close to magic IMO ;-)
>
> It is not like its history is not rife of examples where it was
> first proven rigorously that a certain feature or performance
> enhancement was technically impossible to do, followed by an
> actual implementation.

"floating point" vs "symbolic" math comes to mind ;-) But most of
the time the problem is in front of the keyboard, not behind it.

> With regard to the colored math example, there would be the
> possibility to change LaTeX's notion of back- and
> foregroundcolor, but that would not help with figures.  And it
> might be possible to just replace black and white color
> selections with the Emacs fore&background.
>
> I am not sure those approaches are worth the pain, though.
> Stuff that is really multicolored will look wrong in a colored
> text window, no matter what you do.

ACK. Although it's "cooler" to have ones default color scheme
displayed, it might be worth some thought to display
"preview-latex"-*images* (and maybe not stuff like section
titles) with the print-version's background. Just a thought.

Many people expect different response from software. David, Ralf
et al are doing an excellent job at interpreting "what *I* want
to see and do" with AUCTeX/preview-latex: Big pad on the back!

Regards

Patrick
--
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but
that's not why we do it." --Richard Feynman