[AUCTeX] C-c ` pops to *output* buffer

From: David Reitter
Subject: [AUCTeX] C-c ` pops to *output* buffer
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:14:23 +0000

I wonder if the valued AUCTeX experts could shed some light on an issue with C-c ` (TeX-next-error).

This pops to the *output* buffer (with the complete compile log) first and then switches to the more informative error message (*TeX Help*).

This works well, unless a configuration is used that will display newly popped-up buffers in separate frames, for instance with `one- buffer-one-frame-mode' (Aquamacs), but presumably also with `pop-up- frames' set to t. What happens then is wholly different from the normal behavior: the *output* buffer is shown in the background (separate frame), and then the *Help* buffer is shown as well.

I notice that `TeX-parse-TeX' does the `pop-to-buffer' call in question, and it needs to do so for `TeX-error-point' to be defined and the parsing to work.

If I change the function as below (temporarily setting (TeX-active- buffer), which is *output*), then things work as intended. But presumably I've broken something else.

What is the intention of `pop-to-buffer' in this place, and why does AUCTeX need to visibly pop to the other buffer before actually bringing up the *Help*?

(defun TeX-parse-TeX (reparse)
  "Find the next error produced by running TeX.
Prefix by C-u to start from the beginning of the errors."

  (let ((old-buffer (current-buffer))
        (default-major-mode major-mode))
    (with-current-buffer (TeX-active-buffer)
    (if reparse
        (TeX-parse-reset))
    (goto-char TeX-error-point)
    (TeX-parse-error old-buffer))))