Re: [AUCTeX] OT: Have a look at PDF Tools (new PDF viewer for Emacs)

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] OT: Have a look at PDF Tools (new PDF viewer for Emacs)
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 11:06:37 +0100

> Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> I just edebugged the relevant function `pdf-sync-correlate-tex', and
>>> it returns a list (file line column), so the answer is yes.  However,
>>> column is always -1.  I have the same with the Evince backward
>>> search.
>>
>> I also did the same test and can't understand how TeXstudio can
>> achieve that level of precision.
>
> Maybe it additionally extracts the word at the click position and then
> searches forward after having jumped to the synctex-provided line.

That's an interesting guess.  pdf-tools is able to perform search in
the PDF file, so it should theoretically possible to implement this also there.

The SyncTeX file I'm using for backward search with TeXstudio is the
one created by compilation in AUCTeX, so TeXstudio doesn't add
anything more to that file.

Bye,
Mosè