Re: [AUCTeX] overlay prompting

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] overlay prompting
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 15:14:50 +0100

Hi Jean-François,

> Sorry for the delay. It was a very big file, with complicated
> non-typical structure (thousands of lines before \documentclass),
> and I should have focused on where "beamer" actually appeared in
> the file, but did not have the time back then.
>
> Your message seems to imply that the
> following is unexpected:
>
> % file testauctexparse.tex
> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}
> % insert thousands of lines if you wish
> \begin{verbatim}
> \documentclass{beamer}
> \end{verbatim}
> \end{document}
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>
> 1. create the above file with extension .tex.
>
> 2. Try C-cC-e and the default environment is "frame"
>
> 3. Try an itemize environment and an Overlay spec will be ask for.
>
> 4. The following testauctexparse.el file appears in auto/:
> (possibly after an extra C-xC-s)
>
> (TeX-add-style-hook
>  "testauctexparse"
>  (lambda ()
>    (add-to-list 'LaTeX-verbatim-environments-local "semiverbatim")
>    (add-to-list 'LaTeX-verbatim-macros-with-braces-local "hyperref")
>    (add-to-list 'LaTeX-verbatim-macros-with-braces-local "hyperimage")
>    (add-to-list 'LaTeX-verbatim-macros-with-braces-local "hyperbaseurl")
>    (add-to-list 'LaTeX-verbatim-macros-with-braces-local "nolinkurl")
>    (add-to-list 'LaTeX-verbatim-macros-with-braces-local "url")
>    (add-to-list 'LaTeX-verbatim-macros-with-braces-local "path")
>    (add-to-list 'LaTeX-verbatim-macros-with-delims-local "url")
>    (add-to-list 'LaTeX-verbatim-macros-with-delims-local "path")
>    (TeX-run-style-hooks
>     "latex2e"
>     "article"
>     "art10"
>     "beamer"
>     "beamer10")))

I was almost sure that code in verbatim environment was ignored during
parsing, but I was completely wrong.  Reading the code, there is no
such test and I think it's so for performance reasons.  The obvious
fix would be to do said test, but I fear parsing time would increase
sensibly.  I should do some tests.

For your specific problem, you can redefine
`TeX-arg-beamer-overlay-spec' function to do nothing, at least while
you work on that document.

Bye,
Mosè