Re: Multiple TeX-masters

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Multiple TeX-masters
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 21:23:22 +0200

Kourosh Kalayeh <kouroshm@umich.edu> writes:

Hi Kourosh,
> I am working on a NIH grant which consists of several separate
> sections; specific aims, background and goals, significance, etc.  I
> have a separate LaTeX file for each of these sections with one file
> for macros.

I don't understand that.  Are specific_aims.tex,
background_and_goals.tex, etc. (a) just separate \section{..}s of a
single nih_grant.tex document or is (b) each of those "logical" sections
a separate document?

If it's (a), then specific_aims.tex and the other section files plus
your personal_macros.tex should have nih_grant.tex as TeX-master.

If it's (b), then read below.

> My question is how I can tell AUCTeX that the macro file is shared
> with multiple TeX files.  In other words, how can I define multiple
> TeX-master in the macros file.

You can't.  Every file has at most one TeX-master.  It can't be
different.  If you had multiple masters, which of those should be
compiled/viewed when you invoke LaTeX or a viewer command?

With a personal_macros.tex file which you include in multiple documents,
you'd usually set TeX-master to the symbol `shared'.  Then AUCTeX will
query you for the TeX-master file to be used but not add it to the local
variables section in the file, i.e., that setting will not persist
editing sessions.  As soon as you kill the buffer containing
personal_macros.tex, that setting will be gone, and you'll be queried
again.

HTH,
Tassilo