Re: Problem after upgrading to 13.1.3

From: Greg Bognar
Subject: Re: Problem after upgrading to 13.1.3
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 11:53:23 +0200

Hi Ikumi and Arash,

Thanks for the pointer.  I think I understand what the problem was.

When the issue started, I removed the new AUCTeX installation and re-installed
it through the Emacs package manager to make sure no old version remained.  But
I also had a MELPA package called latex-extra installed, which depends on
AUCTeX.
I suspect the package manager did not actually delete AUCTeX but kept it around
as a dependency -- and it never warned me about this.

Eventually, I removed both AUCTeX and latex-extra and reinstalled AUCTeX only,
and the problem went away.

I looked at latex-extra and it requires tex-buf.el.  So the problem seems to be
that Emacs loaded a file with the new AUCTeX but then latex-extra could not be
loaded and that lead to the weird behavior.  The issue is already reported:
https://github.com/Malabarba/latex-extra/issues/35

To be honest, I have not even used latex-extra's functionality.  It was just an
old package lying around...

All the best,
Greg