Re: make bootstrap fails.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: make bootstrap fails.
Date: 02 Feb 2004 12:11:20 -0500

> I should have checked better.  When bash is invoked as sh, it indeed
> does not check ./ if nothing else worked.  With CDPATH=~/src, I get
> the same errors as the OP when doing make bootstrap.  The Makefile
> uses /bin/sh.

The SUSv3 does not list CDPATH as a variable that might affect the behavior
of /bin/sh, so I think it should be considered as a bug in bash (we'll
still need to work around it, but it should be reported to the bash
maintainers and/or to the distributions that use bash as /bin/sh).

Of course, someone should check that bash invoked as /bin/sh indeed
mistakenly obeys an inherited CDPATH envvar, but the reports here lead me
to believe this is the case.

        Stefan