Re: saveplace.el broken in CVS Emacs?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: saveplace.el broken in CVS Emacs?
Date: 05 Jun 2004 13:48:54 -0500

Marcus Frings wrote:
> recently I installed a CVS Emacs on my Debian box but whenever I want to
> leave Emacs with C-x C-c I get:
>
> save-place-alist-to-file: Wrong type argument: listp, \.\.\.
>
> The backtrace says:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument listp \.\.\.)
>   save-place-forget-unreadable-files()
>   save-place-alist-to-file()
>   save-place-kill-emacs-hook()
>   run-hooks(kill-emacs-hook)
>   kill-emacs()
>   save-buffers-kill-emacs(nil)
>   call-interactively(save-buffers-kill-emacs)
>
> My settings are
>
> (require 'saveplace)
> (setq-default save-place t)
>
> and these work fine for Emacs 21.3.

Hi Marcus.  I'm unable to reproduce this with the latest CVS Emacs.  I
put your settings

   (require 'saveplace)
   (setq-default save-place t)

into a file 'foo.el', and ran

   emacs --geometry=80x30 -q -l foo.el &

repeatedly.  I tried it with my own non-empty ~/.emacs-places file,
and with no ~/.emacs-places file, and also with a ~/.emacs-places
containing only "nil" (well, "\n\nnil\n", because that's what
saveplace.el writes when there are no places to record).

I also tried exiting having visited no buffers, and exiting after
having visited some buffers (so there would be places to save).  When
there were places to save, they were always saved correctly.

So, I'd like some more information from you.  Can you reproduce the
problem reliably?  If so, what's the minimal Emacs session that
reproduces it?  For example, can you do it just by starting Emacs and
then exiting, without visiting any buffers?  Can you do it by starting
"emacs -q", then evaluating your settings by hand, then exiting?

And, what are the contents of your ~/.emacs-places file?  Your .emacs
file might help as well.

Thank you,
-Karl Fogel