Re: display word wrapping

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: display word wrapping
Date: 08 Jun 2004 10:06:58 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On 08 Jun 2004 01:11:21 +0200, address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) wrote:
> >
> > > Looks really good now!!
> >
> > Yeah, it looks ;)
> >
> > Anyway, this is the latest revision, almost identical to the previous
> > one, with two small changes:
> >
> >   - Fixing a Lisp_Object/int mixup (I was returning an int from
> >     define_image_type and passing it as is from init-image-library,
> >     which returns a Lisp_Object).
> >
> >   - Unknown image types (like 'zzz) are now added to Vimage_types, i.e.,
> >     after (image-type-available-p 'zzz), image-types contains
> >     '(zzz . nil).
>
> If an image type is known, I hope that it is present as just its
> name, and _not_ as a cons cell (jpeg . t) or so.
>
> If not, we have a major incompatibility to the previous behavior.

I would not call it a major incompatibility.  Code should not rely
on that variable -- they should call image-type-available-p.

>                                                                    It
> is bad enough already what happens if somebody decides to cycle
> through that variable just to display supported image types.

But with Juanma's delayed loading that variable does NOT provide a
complete list of supported types anyway -- only the types that
are loaded so far.

> Can't we just keep the variable with the original meaning, and store
> the lookup cache data somewhere else?

It could be done that way (the C code could use an internal
unsupported_image_types list which is NOT exported to lisp).

But I don't see a big reason to do so (since image-types is not
reliable anyway).