Re: Aquamacs distro for OS X like behavior

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Aquamacs distro for OS X like behavior
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 18:20:57 +0200

>     What about wxwidgets?
>
> I don't know anything about them technically, but if they make
> the job easier and they are free software, there is no theoretical
> reason we could not use them.
>
> However, our priority should be GTK, I think.

wxwidgets take GTK+ as one of their backends, so one does not exclude
the other.  However, AFAICS wxwidgets supports just C++.  I don't
think that it would make sense to move Emacs to C++.

Also they are third-party software.  Basing Emacs ports to rely on
them in favor of other approaches would seem like a strategical risk
to me.  Such a commitment, I think, would require some securities.

Anyway, given the C++ problem, I don't think that we need to think
about that.

If somebody wants to invest time taking a look how to combine Emacs
with xwidgets without having to replace our build and memory
allocation infra structure, that's fine.  But I can't see it as a
viable porting path at the moment.