Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:25:06 -0400

    Conditionally and explictly preloading it will not get rid of the
    code duplication.  I would have to preload it _after_ startup.el, to
    avoid making the code more complicated with boundp's and fboundp's, to
    prevent errors for variables and functions that might not yet be
    defined if loaded too early.

Ok, preload it after startup.el.

It is not clear to me why that would not get rid of the code duplication.
After all, the code in startup.el runs when the dumped Emacs is started.

But maybe you're right about that.  If so, you can't get rid of the code
duplication.  But it is still desirable to conditionally preload tooltip.

    So in a certain sense, tooltip is already preloaded when it needs to
    be enabled.

Currently what happens is that it is loaded in each session.
That slows down startup.  Preloading it will speed up startup.

This benefit will occur regardless of where in loadup.el
the preloading of tooltip takes place.  In general, if most
users are going to use a certain file, preloading it is
better than loading it into most sessions during the session.