Re: lisp/progmodes/idlw-help.el copyright

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: lisp/progmodes/idlw-help.el copyright
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 20:05:44 -0500

    It is not clear to me if "J.D. Smith <address@hidden>" is the
    same person as the only J.D. Smith I can find in copyright.list:

        EMACS   John-David T. Smith     Us      1973    2001-06-23
        Assigns past and future changes.(vc.el, vc-cvs.el)
        address@hidden

I am sure they are, but it is ok to double check if you want to.

    Also (for my education), does Carsten Dominik's 2000 copyright remain
    because his assignment:

        EMACS   Carsten Dominik Germany 1961    1999-05-04
        Assigns IDLWAVE and future changes.
        Co-author: Chris Chase
        address@hidden

    does not contain "past" changes?

They assigned the entire program IDLWAVE, plus any future changes to it.
That is normal; no problem.

However, I do see a real problem: we have no papers for org mode,
and no papers for his changes to Emacs since 2004.

(Maybe the original org mode was covered by his assignment of past changes
in 2004.)

I will contact him now.

How did I let this slip by?  It is very disturbing!