Re: How about a new pretest?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How about a new pretest?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 22:38:58 +0200

> From: Nick Roberts <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 08:38:32 +1300
> Cc: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>, Emacs Devel <address@hidden>
>
> I think each pretest tarball should be a release candidate.

I'm not aware of such a policy.  A pretest should fix grave bugs, so
that people could use it in day-to-day work and make sure the bugs are
indeed fixed, and we should strive to make each new release cleaner
and less buggy than the previous one, but that's about it.

> So I can't see the point of a new pretest while bugs are still
> listed in FOR-RELEASE, other than to create the illusion that the
> release is getting nearer.

I don't see any serious bugs in today's FOR-RELEASE, and a cleaner
pretest _does_ make the release nearer, IMO.