Re: How about a new pretest?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: How about a new pretest?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 01:34:59 +0100

>     >> I think we should try to fix these two problems now.  The first one
>     >> should be easy.
>     >>   ** make-network-process :nowait t doesn't work for non-local
>     >> targets
>     >>    on Windows.
>
>     Well, I might give it a shot after Xmas.
>
> Making the code report that the feature doesn't exist on MS Windows
> has solved the problem.  Now we're talking about adding a feature.

Unfortunately, I just discovered (by reading the code) that datagram
support is severely broken on Windows -- it can send datagrams, but
not receive them reliably.

So datagram support should probably be disabled too.

> That shouldn't be done until after the release.  But I hope that if
> this is done then, it won't be done by you.

I'd hope so too - but nobody else seems to be capable of understanding
the code...

>                                              The reason is that improving
> Emacs for Windows alone is not as important as improving it for free systems.

IMO, it is not "improving for Windows alone" ... it is a matter of making
the Windows port work like the other ports.

> You are very capable of making the sorts of improvements that will
> really make Emacs better for users.  I hope you will focus on them.

Sure ...  I just hope we get Emacs 22 out of the door soon, so we can
get on with some of the projects which have been on-hold for years now.