Re: [emacs-nxml-mode] Re: nxml-mode, docbook, xinclude

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [emacs-nxml-mode] Re: nxml-mode, docbook, xinclude
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 13:58:20 +0200

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Dave Pawson<address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Just my point. I don't think this should be an emacs issue
>>> If you want docbook schema, html or any other schema
>>> the end user should pick up that schema from the source
>>> of that schema.
>>
>> Thanks. I see.
>>
>> I really think they should be part of Emacs distribution (as they are
>> now) and wondered whether you have some suggestion regarding Docbook
>> 4.5 and 5.0. There is now a schema for Docbook 4.2 in Emacs 22.
>
> 4.5 is the current Oasis standard.
> As I said, either keep up or simply tell people where docbook is.
> How many schemas are you going to try and manage?
>
> Suggest, if you want to track docbook schemas, you point people
> to the appropriate place, not fall n versions behind.

It is a very good point to show them where to get the newest version
since Emacs and docbook schemas might not always be in sync. I think
that should be in the documentation for nxml-mode in Emacs.

But I think including schemas with Emacs is also very important. So I
would suggest checking this for every new Emacs release (to Emacs
Devel: Can we please put this in the to-do for new releases?).

>> I know nothing about how to distinguish those in Emacs.
>
> Perhaps that's another good reason not to attempt to provide
> docbook schemas for the emacs package you're delivering?
>
> How should the
>> schemas be named so that Emacs can pick the right version according to
>> the spec in the Docbook xml file?
>
> You need to see nxml-mode... the original.
> James explained it there.

Could you perhaps make a short summary? How do you yourself handle
this for example?