Re: support for image count in imagemagick

From: joakim
Subject: Re: support for image count in imagemagick
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 12:40:09 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry, I have not yet tried to recompile ImageMagick from source code.
> Do you think dynamic loading will allow using ImageMagick functions
> without recompiling it?

Now I tried to recompile imagemagick 6.6.8 because i wanted to see if
the beta was any better than the released version.

It was pretty easy, I just did ./configure && make install.
It then install to /usr/local, which means it doesnt destroy the distro
packaged version.

then I configured Emacs like this:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
./configure --with-imagemagick

Emacs will then pick up the imagemagick in /usr/local rather than the
distro packaged one in /usr/lib

This method ought to work with Ubuntu also, but I didnt try myself. Of
course you need the build deps of imagemagick also. On fedora you do
yum-builddep, but on ubuntu I think you do "apt-get build-dep"

I use the imagemagick feature daily, so its prety stable. I tweak the
Emacs defaults so ImageMagick is used also for jpegs, and Ive tweaked
image-mode a bit so it can scale images to fit window when loading.

The big thing that doesnt work is opening a djvu or pdf bundle. This is
because by default imagemagick renders each and every page in the bundle
on loading, so Emacs dies from over-eating. Ive got some help from the
imagemagick devs:

http://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16502

But I still got the same issue when trying the book.djvu[1] syntax.
I havent tried the (image_info->number_scenes=1; image_info->scene=2)
aproach yet.

--
Joakim Verona