Re: support for image count in imagemagick

From: joakim
Subject: Re: support for image count in imagemagick
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 20:59:41 +0200

Mathias Dahl <address@hidden> writes:

>> I use the imagemagick feature daily, so its prety stable. I tweak the
>> Emacs defaults so ImageMagick is used also for jpegs, and Ive tweaked
>> image-mode a bit so it can scale images to fit window when loading.
>
> I have been following this work with only casual interest (I tend to
> ignore things that are not "standard" because I cannot rely on it
> being there) but as the original author of `image-dired' I wonder if
> it is time to add on option to it to use the imagemagick stuff if
> available. For example, it is quite time consuming when `convert' is
> called to resize an image to fit in the display window.
>
> Or has anyone already started to look at this, or even done it?

It sounds like a good idea. Maybe you can try to implement it in the
imagemagick branch? I dont think it will be too hard. I havent looked at
the image-dired code, but I think using the imagemagick patch greatly
simplifies the making of thumbnails. You just make the display spec
point to the original image, and set the width, or height, you want. It
will then be scaled by ImageMagick. I tried something similar in my
scanner package, emsane.el, and it worked ok. Also, have a look at the
changes in image-mode.el, which now supports a fit-to-height flag.

I was also toying with the idea of an "ls" implementation for eshell
which would make thumbnails in the eshell buffer.

--
Joakim Verona