Re: xwidget branch

From: joakim
Subject: Re: xwidget branch
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 21:28:27 +0200

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden skrev 2010-06-30 15.09:
>> Jan Djärv<address@hidden>  writes:
>>
>>> This sounds like fun.  How do you handle multiple windows, that is the
>>> same buffer with widgets displayed in different frames/windows?
>>
>> There are some notes in the readme. I paste it below so we can discuss it
>> and improve it. This is as you might imagine the really tricky part.
>>

> I guess it takes some kind of proxy object that keeps track of
> creating the real widget for each window.  GtkAction:s can help here.
> You can have a GtkAction instead of the real widget.  When redisplay
> is done, check all proxy widgets for the GtkAction, and if no one is
> present for the window, create one.  The window can be saved in the
> real widget as widget data.

Ill have to look into that idea. Would it really work for all sorts of
widgets, like sliders? Maybe you can elaborate a bit more, it sounds
interesting.

> I think the "don't display cursor over widget"-problem should have
> some precedence, it really looks awful :-).

Its not spectacularily beautiful no. But doesnt images have the same
issues? Maybe images have some cursor handling code that can be reused?

> I see lots of redisplay-problems with widgets, but that is to expected
> as Emacs doesn't use the Gtk+ event loop.  It took a while before Gtk+
> scrollbars displayed nicely, and even now bugs show up.  You have to
> request redraw on widgets and flush the Gdk event queue manually at
> appropriate places.

Do you have any example pointers in the Emacs source handy?

--
Joakim Verona