Re: Wrong commit message. What to do now?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Wrong commit message. What to do now?
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:29:30 +0300

> From: Karl Fogel <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 18:16:45 -0400
>
> Also, I had forgotten: are we not supposed to be committing to trunk
> right now?

Why not?  There's no branch or feature freeze anywhere in sight.

> (Aside: it feels somewhat hard to be a drive-by maintainer these days,
> which is what I am.  I try to be responsible about bookmark, saveplace,
> and mail-hist stuff, but I can't follow project status in depth.  The
> fact that trunk sometimes is, and sometimes is not, the right place to
> push changes makes this role a bit more difficult.  Not unworkably
> difficult, but it does lead to mistakes sometimes.)

If you commit a safe bugfix for a problem that exists in Emacs 23.2,
consider committing to the emacs-23 branch, not to the trunk; it will
get merged with the trunk later.  And there's a request from Stefan
and Yidong to commit either to the trunk or to emacs-23, but not to
both.  This is to make the merges from emacs-23 to the trunk a bit
less painful.  That's all, there are no other rules.  How's that too
complicated, I don't see.