Re: Wrong commit message. What to do now?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Wrong commit message. What to do now?
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 00:49:01 +0200

> git uses a different method, adding a concept of "annotations to a
> commit," which are not part of the commit's identity but are
> automatically displayed by tools like "git log".  AIUI, this is
> backward compatible, but old git versions can't see the annotations.
> I suspect this would be fairly easy to implement in Bazaar, but I
> don't know anything about the relevant internals.  I "like" this
> approach better, but can't prove it.

This is the way Bzr will solve the problem, tho only once heel freezes
over (as opposed to the other solutions which Bzr wouldn't use even if
hell freezes over).
The main reasons to way for that fateful event is that they can't decide
of a way to keep track of those annotations which would be Right (IIRC,
the issue is that OT1H it needs to use a special format which should be
upgradable, but OTOH it needs to be user-visible since there might be
conflicts between different annotations coming from different branches).
So rather than being pragmatic, they prefer to wait until the
parallels meet at which point those tensions will finally disappear.

        Stefan