Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 13:16:06 -0400

    Ted Nelson nailed this one a long time ago.  I paraphrase: "Either way
    makes sense if you think about it, but one makes sense if you don't
    think about it.  Because users are *drivers*."

I am not sure what you mean by "drivers", and I doubt that your
conclusion is true.  Do you have any evidence that this is true
for people _in general_?

I doubt that is true.

    (And I see that "scroll-left" is disabled by default because new users
    find it confusing

You have misunderstood.  This problem has nothing to do with the
command names.  Some users do horizontal scrolling by accident, not
knowing what they typed, and they don't understand why the buffer
looks strange.  So I decided to disable that command.

We could make horizontal scrolling less confusing if we added
horizontal scroll bars.