RE: angle-bracket notation for keys (was: Selection changes)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: angle-bracket notation for keys (was: Selection changes)
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 12:15:58 -0700

> > I believe this was all discussed in those old threads
>
> <Shrug> who can remember all those discussions?

`Shrug', yourself. ;-)

I provided links to them.  Who is interested?  No sense repeating everything
here/now, even in the case where someone might actually be interested.

> > To be clear, however, I'm not really concerned about what
> > appears in the printed manual.  My concern (really, my
> > _only_ concern wrt this question) is the UI and
> > online doc (Info).  I made that clear before, as well.
>
> Consistency with the [printed] manual is important, IMO.

It is important, but not all-important.

And the printed manual's notation for keys is anyway _inconsistent_ with the
UI's notation.  As you pointed out, the printed manual uses little icons for key
names - what you called "a picture of a key with a label".  Not so, the UI.

What is most important is clarity.  After that, consistency within each
medium/context is important (it aids clarity).  Consistency across all
media/contexts (print, Info, *Help*, messages,...) can be helpful but less
important than the previous.