Re: windows build env

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: windows build env
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 19:31:28 +0100

On 25/07/10 18:19, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
David De La Harpe Golden<address@hidden>  writes:

Would someone on windows who doesn't use MSVC mind briefly describing
their current build environment to me (offlist I suppose)?

AFAIK, the contents of nt/INSTALL are reasonably up to date.

[snip]

e.g. hung process during build of lisp/hilit-chg.el :
     msys\1.0\bin\patch.exe -z. b

Does the w32 build invoke patch? This is news to me and not mentioned on
nt/INSTALL.

Appears to on my system. Discovery of external shell tools for various packages I guess.

Anyway, it was the msys patch and Eli's no doubt right with "do not use msys" - it seems to have its own not-cygwin not-windows take on path mangling among other things.

For the record, bearing in mind I'm going to be taking msys out of the loop next attempt:

Files hanging with a "msys\1.0\bin\patch -z. b" process during build

lisp/hilit-chg.el
vc/ediff-diff.el
vc/ediff-merg.el
vc/ediff-mult.el
vc/ediff-ptch.el
vc/ediff-util.el
vc/ediff.el

Files where something segfaults, but I didn't catch what. However, eshell was probably trying to find external unix command line tools and would have found bits of msys, and tramp was probably trying to find stuff like rsh, ssh etc. and again would have found bits of msys:

lisp/net/tramp-cmds.el
lisp/net/tramp-fish.el
lisp/net/tramp-ftp.el
lisp/net/tramp-gvfs.el