Re: CMake build anyone?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: CMake build anyone?
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 21:44:40 +0200

> You're talking about emulating the current autoconf machinery, so
> talking about the Unixy targets. And I'm saying that the trouble right
> now is that the Windows makefiles have drifted quite a lot from the
> Unix ones (IIRC they are based on very old Unix makefiles) and
> unifying them will be difficult, or at least arduous.

Based on my experience with LLVM, which build process was more
convoluted than Emacs', I don't expect problems with the Windows
build. I've looked at nt/config.nt and much of the stuff there already
is implemented by my Unix prototype. AFAIK the Windows build follows the
same logical steps as the Unix build, but working around the limitations
of not having autoconf etc. That workarounds will disappear for the most
part on the cmake build. nt/config.nt, for instance, will be unnecessary
and src/config.in (or actually src/config.cmake) will be used for all
platforms.

>> Just providing cmake as an option where autoconf is available, and as
>> the official method where it isn't.
>
> That'd be great.

Okay.