Re: CMake build anyone?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: CMake build anyone?
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 23:54:23 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 19:57:50 +0200
>
> One caveat: knowing nothing about the emacs MSDOS build, I don't know
> how well CMake works for it. Maybe we can use cmake's cross-compiling
> feature for driving the MSDOS compiler (DJGPP?)

As long as you are not asking the end users to have CMake installed
(and I hope you don't), the DOS build will be okay.  It actually uses
the same Makefile.in files used by Posix platforms, but instead of
running the configure script, it edits them with a bunch of Sed
scripts in the msdos/ subdirectory.

(There's a fully functional DOS port of Bash, so in principle we could
just run configure.  However, since Emacs is one of a few tools needed
to bootstrap a working DJGPP development environment, we deliberately
keep its build system independent of Bash and all the other utilities
Bash needs to run configure, and keep the list of required utilities
to the bare minimum.)