Re: Comment on Emacs Lisp Introduction

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Comment on Emacs Lisp Introduction
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 22:14:39 +0200

Fren Zeee <address@hidden> writes:

>> David, My problem is that I want to see the function definition of
>> next-line.
>>
> ie lisp code without having to search, find which file has it and then
> open it.

Emacs, the self-documenting text editor.

You know that whatever C-h f is, it knows what you want to know, so you
just need to investigate "C-h f". For that you can do "C-h k C-h f" for
seeing help about the function invoked with "C-h f", which is
describe-function. You use the hyperlink from the Help window to jump to
the function definition. Then you read the source code a bit or do a
quick text search to learn that what you probably want is

find-lisp-object-file-name

What's find-lisp-object-file-name? Well,

C-h f find-lisp-object-file-name RET

will tell you... and so on.

> On some platforms, I dont have the source and its an unnecessary
> interruption in the work to go and make the detour to search for it.

Sorry, I don't understand this. How do you expect seeing the function
definition without having the source code?