Re: New features in windowing

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: New features in windowing
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 08:56:55 +0100

> I am playing with the new features in windows (as in emacs). I found
> some window-parameters aren't documented such as window-side and
> window-atom.

Hopefully they will make it into Emacs 24.2.

> I tried to make a speedbar-window-mode i.e. embed the speedbar buffer in
> a frame unlike speedbar-frame-mode which uses a separate frame. I want
> the speedbar window to stay on screen without being deleted by
> delete-window and the like.

What precisely do you mean here?  `delete-window' should, in principle,
delete its argument (unless it has a special `delete-window' parameter).

> Any idea whether the new features in
> windowing can handle this without advising a bunch of functions? Thanks.

The basic idea is to do what you want without any advising.  Meanwhile I
have revised the assignment of side window parameters to handle window
configuration management easier but I don't intend to incoporate these
changes in 24.1.  If you want to use them, I can send you a bundle or a
separate file.  (BTW, it would be nice if someone wrote code in order to
handle > 1 speedbar buffers simultaneously.)

martin