Re: New features in windowing

From: Leo
Subject: Re: New features in windowing
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 19:02:40 +0800

On 2012-03-20 15:56 +0800, martin rudalics wrote:
>> I am playing with the new features in windows (as in emacs). I found
>> some window-parameters aren't documented such as window-side and
>> window-atom.
>
> Hopefully they will make it into Emacs 24.2.

Do you mean those features are yet to be implemented? BTW, they were
mentioned in the elisp info file.

>> I tried to make a speedbar-window-mode i.e. embed the speedbar buffer in
>> a frame unlike speedbar-frame-mode which uses a separate frame. I want
>> the speedbar window to stay on screen without being deleted by
>> delete-window and the like.
>
> What precisely do you mean here?  `delete-window' should, in principle,
> delete its argument (unless it has a special `delete-window' parameter).

Let me use this for illustration:
          ______________________________________
         | ______  ____________________________ |
         ||      || __________________________ ||
         ||      |||                          |||
         ||      |||                          |||
         ||      |||                          |||
         ||      |||____________W4____________|||
         ||      || __________________________ ||
         ||      |||                          |||
         ||      |||                          |||
         ||      |||____________W5____________|||
         ||__W2__||_____________W3_____________ |
         |__________________W1__________________|

If I put speedbar buffer in W2, I want those window operations to think
as if W3 is the ``frame root window''. So for example, C-x 1 should not
delete W2. C-x 0 should never have W2 occupy the whole frame.

Is this currently possible?

>> Any idea whether the new features in
>> windowing can handle this without advising a bunch of functions? Thanks.
>
> The basic idea is to do what you want without any advising.  Meanwhile I
> have revised the assignment of side window parameters to handle window
> configuration management easier but I don't intend to incoporate these
> changes in 24.1.  If you want to use them, I can send you a bundle or a
> separate file.  (BTW, it would be nice if someone wrote code in order to
> handle > 1 speedbar buffers simultaneously.)
>
> martin

Unfortunately that would mean difficulty to try it out but I guess I can
wait until 24.1 is released.

Leo