Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 21:01:34 +0100

>> If we agree that it would be better to adopt the widely accepted
>> approach of a moving view port (over an static text)
>
> What "widely accepted approach"?  Most applications don't have names
> for the commands invoked by keys

but people use these terms in normal conversations.

>, they just use "PageDown" the key
> name.

and the way that key is interpreted in all applications I'm aware of
reflects the "widely accepted approach" I was talking about: the
"Down" in "PageDown" refers to the _viewport_ movement (it shows you
the next page).

> There isn't much prior art here, we are on our own.

I disagree.  See above.

>> Consistency and uniformity are good programming principles that make
>> things simpler to learn and remember.  So these principles should be
>> followed unless there is a good reason not to.
>
> And there are good reasons in this case, as others in this thread
> pointed out.

Honestly, I've not seen a single good reason so far.  Stefan made a
valid point when he said that the "window" part in "scroll-window-"
could be confusing, and I agreed.  But as I said, changing "window" to
"view" would remove the confusion.

--
Dani Moncayo