Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 13:25:32 +0100

>     What "widely accepted approach"?  Most applications don't have names
>     for the commands invoked by keys, they just use "PageDown" the key
>     name.
>
> Do they generally agree on which direction "PageDown" should scroll?

Yes.  Popular web browsers and text processors interpret "PageDown" as
"show the next page".

Therefore, "up" and "down" refer to the view port (not the text).
That convention is the opposite of the one currently used in Emacs.

> If so, that would seem to be a general convention for the meaning
> of "down" for scrolling.

Yes, and my proposal tried to be both unambiguous (including "view" as
part of the new commands' names, e.g. `scroll-view-down') and
consistent with that convention (all scroll commands would follow the
same pattern).

--
Dani Moncayo