Re: clang/emacs/ecb/semantic

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: clang/emacs/ecb/semantic
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 07:34:43 +0100

>     gcc-xml is frozen since a few years ago. The author recommends using
>     clang.
>
> That recommendation works to the detriment of the GNU Project, so
> maybe we want to find someone else to take it up again.
>
> What exactly does gcc-xml do?

Something that should have been merged into gcc a long time ago.

It generates the parse tree as xml.   http://www.gccxml.org/

Unfortunately, it doesn't support all the language front ends, and since
it's not incorporated into gcc itself, it lags, and therefore cannot be
used in practice to analyse sources compiled with the latest versions of
gcc.

Llvm and clang provide natively a way to get the parse tree (and other
phases information), and therefore they can be used easily in IDE.
http://clang.llvm.org/features.html#applications