Re: save-excursion and the mark

From: Barry Warsaw
Subject: Re: save-excursion and the mark
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 10:37:16 -0500

On Feb 22, 2015, at 11:44 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>`save-excursion' is defined to save&restore the mark (as well as its
>being active or not).
>
>But I'm having a hard time finding a piece of code where we actually
>make use of this.

Won't this potentially break some poor user's code out there?  There's tons of
code that you'll never see because it's private.  save-excursion is documented
to save and restore mark, so people could be surprised by this API break, and
confused by their code suddenly breaking after an upgrade.  It seems risky.

Cheers,
-Barry