Re: Improving GNU ELPA (was: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA p

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: Re: Improving GNU ELPA (was: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA package.el downloads)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 18:04:57 +0200

I think we should keep requiring authors to push to and pull from Elpa,
that is not really the issue.  The issue as I see it is that doing so is
not as easy as:

  git pull elpa
  git push elpa

Instead one has to do something like (provided one does actually care
about the history in both the "personal" and the Elpa repository staying
clean).

* Integrating Elpa changes.

  git fetch elpa
  git filter-branch
  git branch -f elpa &&
  git filter-branch -f --subdirectory-filter "packages/$package"
--commit-filter '
  # One could use "--prune-empty" instead, but this script is better.
  test $# = 1 && test -z "$(git ls-tree $1)" && skip_commit "$1" && exit
  args="$@"
  tree="$1"
  shift
  while test -n "$1"
  do
        shift
        test "$tree" = $(git rev-parse "$1^{tree}") && map "$1" && exit
        shift
  done
  git commit-tree $args' elpa

So I think the focus should be on enabling "one repository per package"
instead of making Elpa pull.  If pushing to Elpa was as easy as for normal
Git repositories, then people would not mind.

  Jonas