Re: Improving GNU ELPA

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: Re: Improving GNU ELPA
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 19:28:11 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>   git fetch elpa
>>   git filter-branch
>
> That's only for the "subtree" packages.  You can use an "external"
> package, in which case the package has its own branch.
>
>> So I think the focus should be on enabling "one repository per package"
>
> One repository per package would be a bit more convenient in some cases,
> admittedly, but one branch per package is not that bad.

That works for me, and I suspect for many others too.

I was somehow under the impression that "subtree" packages were
preferred, and "external" packages only recommended for big packages
and maintainers who refused to use the subtree approach.

Since "one branch per package" works mostly (*) like "one repository
per package", I don't think teaching Elpa to pull is a good idea.
The downsides of doing that have already been discussed and as long
as one goes with the "subtree" option, I don't see the need.

*: git remote add -t externals/<package> --no-tags elpa git://...
     vs.
   git remote add elpa git://...

  Cheers,
  Jonas