Re: vc-git-grep vs project-find-regexp: Was: Re: bug#27840: 26.0.50; vc-

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: vc-git-grep vs project-find-regexp: Was: Re: bug#27840: 26.0.50; vc-git-grep stopped working on git master
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 16:58:59 -0600

>>>>> "Dmitry" == Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

Dmitry> On 7/26/17 8:57 PM, Tom Tromey wrote:

>> I am running a build of git master from yesterday.
>> I tried M-x vc-git-grep.

Dmitry> As an aside, have you tried M-x project-find-regexp? Any particular
Dmitry> dislikes?

Ok, I tried project-find-regexp and project-find-file yesterday.

The main issue is that they are just too slow.

I'm mostly developing Firefox these days, which has a very large source
tree.

For project-find-file, I somewhat expected it to be slow, but I was
surprised that project-find-regexp also appeared to just hang ... I
interrupted it before it did anything.  Maybe it's also trying to
construct a file list?  (I didn't check.)  Would it be possible to cache
the file list and maybe watch the filesystem for additions?

I will try project-find-file some more and see if I have any quibbles
with it.

These would both be very nice to have...

thanks,
Tom