Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with co

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 15:08:02 +0200

Hey Alan,

On 12/4/17 5:52 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

Any chance you could give me some basic details of how to get into this
MMM mode?  Like which git branch (? scratch/widen-less ?) can I find the
code in, and where is the best documentation to get started.

I was talking in abstract (MMM meaning any similar framework), but it's a good question. To debug the problems, a concrete example is needed.

The latest version of mmm-mode lives here: https://github.com/purcell/mmm-mode.git, you can check out the master branch, and it even has a manual that's reasonably up-to-date WRT to usage.

Here are a couple of related bug reports:

https://github.com/purcell/mmm-mode/issues/55
https://github.com/purcell/mmm-mode/issues/57

Both pertaining to the use of c-mode in the context of mmm-noweb.el.

Please let me know if you need more localized examples.

I've no idea how long it will take to make MMM and
CC Mode work with eachother.

If you manage to do it at all, that would be an achievement. But just figuring out the biggest problems should help us to design the feature.

Not much, if at all.  I found those discussions to be lacking the
context I would have needed to understand them.

I hope the context is apparent now.

That's fair.  But the "syntax islands" proposal would be a lot of work,
which I don't want to commit to before I see some sort of undertaking to
take it seriously.

Then it should be a good idea to try the proposed, smaller approach, and collect the drawbacks you meet along the way.

[ .... ]

There are several ways to skin that cat.

That's the second cat in as many days, here!

Lots of cats around here in Cyprus. ;-)