Re: CC Mode in MMM Mode(s).

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: CC Mode in MMM Mode(s).
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 16:36:17 -0500

  > - No need to worry about putting the buffer into a modified state.

I understand that.  Text properties are designed to be considered
part of the contents.  But font-lock uses them, so it is possible
to use them for things that reflect the contents and are not contents.

  > - Overlays expand when you insert some text inside. By default, mmm-mode
  > doesn't re-parse the buffer into submode chunks automatically (probably
  > because of performance concerns, more apparent back in the day), so that
  > was probably useful.

Text properties expand, too.

  > - Overlays have properties. It's a more meaningful data structure, I
  > guess. Easier to build with.

Do you mean, it is useful in the code to have a single overlay object
to put the properties on, rather than putting them directly on the
characters in the buffer?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.