Re: scratch/accurate-warning-pos: Solid progress: the branch now bootstr

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: scratch/accurate-warning-pos: Solid progress: the branch now bootstraps.
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 09:50:09 -0800

On 11/29/18 2:05 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
We're not
talking about macros generating messages for invalid input.  we're
talking about generating message positions for the source being
compiled.

I'm not sure what you mean here. The point of this exercise, as I understand it, is to generate better diagnostics for Lisp code that has problems in it (or is "invalid input" in some sense). Such code may define macros, and it may use those macros or may use macros defined elsewhere. If you're saying that we should talk only about problems in the part of the code that uses macros, and not about problems in the part of the code that defines macros, then that sounds like a conversation that would be too narrow.

I'm afraid we'll have to disagree here, as I can see examples where
symbols-with-pos fails ....
I can't.  Please give an example, so I can see what you're talking about.

I attempted to give one in <https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2018-11/msg00530.html>, but you dismissed it as not relevant to the discussion. As mentioned above, I don't see why it's irrelevant.

Symbols-with-pos exists, works, and works well.
Conses-with-pos doesn't exist, hence doesn't work.  I doubt it can work.
Can you create it?

I think I could, with time. I hope someone else will do it, though, as the problem does not seem that urgent. I would suggest that whoever does it, looks into Stefan's ideas in this area, e.g., <https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2018-11/msg00532.html>.

is the idea of the two instances of code
still live?
It's live only in the sense that it's better than scratch/accurate-warning-pos because of performance issues. I'd rather that we did something better than either.