Re: Linking to ImageMagick by default

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Linking to ImageMagick by default
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 19:38:11 +0100

Daniel Pittman <address@hidden> writes:

> The last gives a good explanation of the trade-offs, as does the
> first.  Personally, I would much rather buy than build that sort of
> image filtering logic. :)

Fortunately, we don't have to invent anything here.  :-)  As you point
out, there's lots of excellent research into image scaling algorithms,
and the algorithms themselves aren't mind-bogglingly difficult to
implement.  I think.  At least that was my conclusion the last time I
looked at this.

And if we're really lucky, we can adapt code from other GNU projects,
but I haven't investigated.

But what I meant by "probably not very hard" wasn't that bit, but
fitting image scaling into the Emacs image machinery, which is
surprisingly convoluted.  But I went through all the code paths (the
layering here is "there are layers?") and it looked like it wouldn't
require that much to inject scaling into all the image formats we care
about.  (I think XPM was the biggest problem.)

Unless something's changed since...  2014?  I think that was when I
looked at it.