Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 14:05:08 -0400

On 2019-03-17  9:48 AM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
[...]
> Not to muddy the waters further, but Source Hut (or Sir Hat) is a newish
> "forge" that seems very much in line with Emacs' aesthetic, and provides
> extensive integration with mailing lists. Might be a nice middle ground.
>
> https://man.sr.ht/

Seconding sourcehut [0].  Same topic (migration to GitLab) came up on
another GNU list a while ago and I wrote a brief reply with my thoughts
on sourcehut vs other common web-based software forges here [1].  IMHO
sourcehut’s main selling point is its treatment of email as first class
citizen, along with a simple, clutter- and distraction-free, and mostly
JS-free web interface; as opposed to a bloated and sluggish web app
built on the shiniest trendy JS framework that likes to eat up all the
memory on the user’s machine while offering an arguably inferior user
experience and flexibility.

[0]: https://sourcehut.org
[1]: https://lists.gnu.org/r/guile-devel/2019-01/msg00027.html

IMHO in a not-so-distant future sourcehut could be a promising candidate
for a more modern and featureful, yet lean and usable alternative to
Savannah.