Re: make-dist failure on master

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: make-dist failure on master
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 10:00:06 +0100

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Phillip Lord wrote:
>
>> While we are on the topic of make-dist, I notice that the documentation
>> for --snapshot is different from reality; --snapshot doesn't enforce
>> --no-check.
>
> Doc bug since 129645a I guess.
>
>> Also, should --snapshot cause --no-changelog?
>
> IMO no.
>
>> You have to use the latter for out-of-source builds since, without it,
>> it forces a rebuild in-source?
>
> Sounds like a bug. (Though my, presumably outdated or wrong,
> recollection was that make-dist required an in-tree build.)

Effectively it does, unless you use the right options. Whether that was
a design decision or not, I don't know.

I use it to build a source tarball for the snapshot windows builds; I do
an out-of-source build here, because I need to build it twice (i686,
x86_64) and I don't always do a clean build with the snapshot.

Phil