Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, pl

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 16:04:03 +0200

On 20.11.2019 15:55, Michael Albinus wrote:
Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

We could ask everybody here to create an account. Maybe even send out
such requests personally for people who had been active in the
past. And then, when doing the import, try to assign comments to
existing accounts going by email.

If we would go this way (for example, with emba.gnu.org), I would expect
that all members of the emacs project on savannah will be populated
automatically on emba.

I don't know how users are managed on savannah, but GitLab integrates
with LDAP to support user authentication, for example.

That should work, yes.

The rest would probably have to be imported as created by some utility
user (to use an example from a popular Russian online community, we
could call it UFO), and the authors would not get notifications for
any new replies (unless notified by email personally as well).

I don't like this approach, honestly. We would have a feature
regression, compared with debbugs. I thought, we are working on
improvements.

Not on improvements to Debbugs, though.

But, okay, we could also pre-create accounts for every email that has ever graced our presence on Debbugs. Then the users could do password recovery and voila.

I'm not quite sure how this approach would interact with external authentication, though (like when an email is @gmail.com, and the user would prefer to authenticate against Google's account database).

And it doesn't solve the problem of reporting new bugs to Emacs by users
with no account.

I'm fairly sure every such issue can be fixed, given sufficient effort. This one doesn't seem like a big priority to me. Most people already have an account *somewhere*. The others can spend a couple of minutes on registration. Anybody who's going to argue otherwise will most certainly spend more time arguing their position than such registration would take.

Someone said that we'd lose on some bug reports this way. Yes, we will. We lose out on many more bug reports anyway by refusing to migrate off Debbugs.