Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, pl

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen.")
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 08:20:41 -0500

  > My point was that we should not encourage our users to submit to the
  > abuses of Google, Facebook et al. by facilitating the access to our
  > services to those who do so.  That would indeed be endorsement of them.

You have said it very clearly.  Thank you.

If you (whoever you are) as a developer wish to do some of your
development work on MacOS, or do email through Gmail, we don't object.
For the former, we may not even notice.  That is your own personal
activity, and we don't make rules about that.

However, the issue here is whether the GNU Project should put certain
services on a list to be singled out for special positive treatment.
We will not do that with any service unless we consider it fully ethical.
Apple, Google and Facebook do not qualify.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)