Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 19:21:13 +0100

> It seems like the optimization I described is sort of already there,
> at least as far as fit-frame-to-buffer is concerned. So it's better
> than explicitly cycling frame visibility like I tried before.

Which optimization?

> When the frame does need to be resized, the flicker is there, of course.

So it doesn't flicker when the frame doesn't need a resize?  Maybe GTK
catches that.

> But with the current implementation of company-posframe, at least, it might
look better than the current behavior also with a GTK2 build. Like, with the new
var set to nil (default), the frame is seemingly resized in two steps (*):

>   - Resize the frame.
>     (redisplay, apparently, but show the previous contents of the buffer)
>   - Update the contents of the frame.
>     (redisplay again, apparently)

Have you tried the other way round?

> The whole process is fast, but not fast enough for me to miss this transition.
>
> It's either a bug in company-posframe or in Emacs itself, but setting
x-gtk-hide-child-frame-during-resize to t at least makes it happen in one move, at
the cost of having the whole popup blink at the same time.

I doubt we could collapse the ConfigureNotify and MapNotify into one.
It would be worth a try though ...

> (*) Tried to see the same problem with a Lucid build but couldn't. Maybe just
because it resizes faster, IDK.

I doubt that.

martin