Re: emacs-27 60c84ad: ; * etc/TODO: Fix last change.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-27 60c84ad: ; * etc/TODO: Fix last change.
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 18:04:40 +0200

> From: Robert Pluim <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 10:25:45 +0100
>
> One issue this has thrown up is that the hypothetical 'emoji' script
> completely subsumes U+1F000..U+1F02F (mahjong-tile) and
> U+1F030..U+1F09F (domino-tile), so those scripts would no longer
> exist.

That shouldn't happen.  The 'emoji' script should include the
following blocks:

   1F300 .. 1F5FF (Miscellaneous Symbols and Pictographs)
   1F600 .. 1F64F (Emoticons)
   1F680 .. 1F6FF (Transport and Map Symbols)
   1F900 .. 1F9FF (Supplemental Symbols and Pictographs)

I understand that there are scattered Emoji elsewhere, but even if we
make them individually belong to Emoji, we don't need to do that for
mahjong-tile and domino-tile blocks.

>     Eli> There's an issue with the codepoints in the U+2XXX and U+3XXX blocks:
>     Eli> some of them can have Emoji glyph variations, but putting them into
>     Eli> the 'emoji' script is probably not a good idea, as long as Emacs
>     Eli> selects a font based on a single character.  I guess we will have to
>     Eli> leave them in 'symbol' for now.
>
>     Robert> OK. We can revisit 2XXX and 3XXX later.
>
> Your concern here is what Emacs should do when one of the characters in this
> range is followed by U+FE0E or U+FE0F?

The latter.  The former doesn't affect the visual appearance of those
base characters, so it's basically a no-op.