Re: emacs-27 60c84ad: ; * etc/TODO: Fix last change.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-27 60c84ad: ; * etc/TODO: Fix last change.
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2020 11:38:03 +0200

> From: Robert Pluim <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2020 09:13:03 +0100

>     >> From: Robert Pluim <address@hidden>
>     >> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
>     >> Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2020 08:29:44 +0100
>     >>
>     Eli> I think it would be jarring to see, say, U+2640 ♀ or U+266B ♫ as
> emoji
>     Eli> in the middle of otherwise "normal" text.
>     >>
>     >> Those are already treated as symbols, so they already donʼt look like
>     >> letters.
>
>     Eli> Why not like letters? is your Emacs using a different font for them?
>
> 'emacs27 -Q' uses Menlo as the default font, which has glyphs for
> those two characters.

Which is the intended behavior: we want the symbols in their text
representation be displayed by the default font, if possible.

> What does your font display them as?

It also uses the default font, as expected.

So I see no problem here, and making this display by a non-default
font would be a regression, IMO, since that font could have different
height, be variable-pitch, etc.