Re: Reliable after-change-functions (via: Using incremental parsing in E

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Re: Reliable after-change-functions (via: Using incremental parsing in Emacs)
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 15:36:21 +0200

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 16:16:20 +0300
Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> I think the explanation in (info "(elisp) Change Hooks") is quite good,
>> but the doc string had better clarify the usage as well.
>>
>> How about the attached patch?
>
> Thanks, I think this is too wordy for a doc string.  I think it should
> be enough to mention the two variables ("See also ...") and maybe add
> a link to the ELisp manual section you mention.

In that case, could we add the "should" part (or something similar) to
the manual (in addition to the doc string reference you describe)? It is
true that careful reading of the manual and the relevant doc strings as
they are now could suffice to make an informed decision on when
`inhibit-modification-hooks' is (in)appropriate, but I think having some
kind of explicit heads-up or dissuation regarding the likely misuse
would be better.

--
Štěpán